Best of FOod Rules
A Game for 2 teams of any number. Age 12+
PREPARING TO PLAY
• Unfold the board and lay it on the table.
• Each team selects a playing piece and puts it on the START space.
• Place the Question Cards box next to the board.
• Give each team a set of ACTION CARDS.
There are three kinds of Question Card – each with four questions:
• Picture Cards – on which there is a picture that the questions relate to.
• Pot Luck Cards – on which there are general knowledge FOOD questions.
• Common Theme Cards – on which all the answers have a common theme.
The four questions each have a different coloured square beside them, that relate to the coloured spaces on the board. PURPLE then GREEN, YELLOW and RED.
There are three ACTION cards which allow special actions. Each team gets a set of these cards at the start of the game, and can play each card ONCE during the game.
• MOUTHFUL CARD – can be played on ONE member of the opposing team after the QM has picked a card and the subject is clear. The nominated person is not allowed to take part in any way in answering the questions on that card.
• TAKE-AWAY CARD – can be played to “take away” the card the QM has drawn and take the next in the deck.
• REDUCED CALORIE CARD – can be used to lighten up the question card by allowing the team to choose one question for which they can move on to that colour on the board without answering the question. Can’t be played to enter the Winning Zone.
The board has a path from the outer START space into the WINNING ZONE in the middle. The path is made up of coloured spaces that match the question colours.
PLAYING THE GAME
The team with the youngest player plays first.
During play one of the other team acts as Question Master (QM) each turn. Members of the ‘non-playing’ team take turns at being the QM.
The QM takes the first card from the tray and asks the first (purple) question to the playing team. If the question card is a Picture Card or Theme Card the QM shows the back of the card (the picture side) to the playing team– whilst hiding the answers from his own team.
If the playing team answers correctly, they immediately move their playing piece to the next purple space on the board.
The QM goes on to ask the team the remaining questions on the card. Each time the team answers a question correctly they move their playing piece forward to the next space that matches the colour of that question.
Once the team has answered the fourth (RED) question correctly and moved their playing piece onto the next RED space on the board their turn is over, and the card is put into the other end of the tray.
If the playing team gets a question wrong, the QM asks the SAME question to the other members of their own team.
If they get it right, they win a bonus move to the next segment on the board that matches the question colour.
If they don’t answer the question correctly the QM reads out the answer to both teams.
The QM now asks the next question on the card to the playing team and play continues as above until all the questions on the card have been asked. Now it is the other team’s turn.
When a team answers a question correctly near the Winning Zone and there are no spaces left on the path that match its colour, the team moves their playing piece onto the Winning Zone where it stays for the rest of the game. The team continues their turn if any questions remain on the current card after they have entered the Winning Zone.
If a team is the FIRST to move onto the Winning Zone, they must correctly answer either two consecutive questions or a RED question to WIN.(For example: If a team enters the Winning Zone after answering a GREEN question they need to answer the remaining YELLOW and RED questions correctly to WIN – OR if they enter the Winning Zone after answering a YELLOW question they ONLY have to answer the remaining RED question correctly to WIN).
BOTH TEAMS IN THE WINNING ZONE
If BOTH teams are in the Winning Zone and the playing team gets a question wrong the QM asks that question to the members of their own team. If they answer it correctly then they (not the playing team) are asked the next question. If they answer it correctly, they WIN! (as they have answered two consecutive questions correctly). If they do not answer the second question correctly the QM reads out the answer to both teams. The QM now asks the next question on the card to the playing team. Play continues until one team answers two consecutive questions or a RED question correctly to win.